Summer Air Conditioning Maintenance Tips
Summer in South Florida is Hot! See our maintenance tips below to ensure your HVAC systems are trouble-free and keeping your tenants cool!
A fully-functioning HVAC system is truly a blessing – one you often don’t appreciate until
it stops performing effectively. As temperatures climb during the summer months, a
poorly maintained HVAC system can not only cause discomfort, but also lose valuable
funds through inefficient performance.
There are a wide range of commercial air conditioning contractors in Florida, but how do
you know who to choose – and is regular maintenance really that important?
We’ll cover both of these concerns, as well as giving out some of our top tips for HVAC
maintenance, in this blog.
Read on for our HVAC tips for summer.
Why Summer HVAC Maintenance is Crucial for Commercial Properties
Let’s answer that second question first. Is regular summer maintenance really that important? The short answer is yes.
The longer answer is yes, again – for a number of reasons.
If you are operating a housing facility, regular maintenance can ensure tenant comfort and increase client satisfaction. No-one likes a hot, sticky home! A home that’s too hot, or even too cold, is not a place tenants want to stay for the long term. Keep it comfortable and keep your tenants!
Furthermore, regular upkeep of your HVAC system can help to avoid costly emergency repairs, produce better energy efficiency, and reduce overall utility costs.
Last but not least, proper maintenance can greatly increase the lifespan of your system and save you time and money on replacements.
It’s a no-brainer, really.
Finding a Reliable Commercial Air Conditioning Contractor in Florida
So, we’ve established that regular air conditioning repairs and maintenance is important, but how do you choose the right HVAC contractor in Florida? Getting this right is just as important as the maintenance itself, as a poor contractor can cause more issues than they fix.
To begin, we would recommend compiling a list of several commercial air conditioning contractors in Florida. From there, work your way through the list by eliminating anyone without the licensing, certifications, and experience necessary for the job. Don’t be afraid to ask – any good contractor will be more than happy to share their credentials with you.
Then, scour their customer reviews and testimonials to find out more about the experience their other clients have had with them. Social proof is always one of the most reliable ways to gauge a contractor’s quality. The more reviews, the better!
Once you’ve whittled it down to a final few HVAC contractors in Florida, reach out to each to request a quote and timeframe for the job. From there, you can compare pricing and make your decision with confidence.
10 Essential HVAC Maintenance Tips for Summer
Whether you’re working with a contractor or handling maintenance in-house, it pays to know the key aspects of the maintenance process.
Many of these steps are simple enough to carry out, but for a thorough inspection and upkeep process, you may need to call in a specialist to be safe.
Here are our top 10 HVAC tips for summer:
- Clean or replace air filters on a regular basis
- Inspect and clean condenser coils as necessary
- Inspect and clear external surfaces of the system
- Test and calibrate thermostat as required
- Check and re-seal ductwork if any leaks are present
- Lubricate all moving parts to prevent seizing
- Clear drain lines and pans of clogs or blockages
- Inspect and repair insulation and weatherstripping
- Test and adjust refrigerant levels
- Schedule regular maintenance checks with a professional
The 10th point is especially pertinent. Even if you decide to handle regular HVAC maintenance yourself, we would still highly recommend regular inspections from a commercial air conditioning contractor in Florida. Not only does this give you peace of mind, but it also protects you from any issues that may be growing in the background.
Any qualified contractor will know the usual steps in HVAC maintenance, but it doesn’t hurt to understand the process yourself.
If you carry out each of these HVAC tips for summer, you will ensure efficient performance of your system and comfort of your tenants.
Additional HVAC Tips for Summer
You’ve carried out the necessary maintenance, but now you’re wondering if there is anything else you could be doing to maximize performance and longevity? You’re in luck!
Here are a few additional tips for you:
- Use programmable thermostats for increased energy efficiency Thanks to smart technology, we can now easily program a heating or cooling pattern depending on our tenants’ needs and the current climate. Heatwave coming? Program in regular periods of increased cooling, separated by reduced periods. This will provide all necessary cooling, without the risk of tenants switching on their A/C and heading out for the day.
- Encourage tenants to report issues promptly This one is self-explanatory, but by calling on the support of your tenants to report any issues as soon as they arise, you reduce system downtime and decrease the risk of lasting damages.
- Promote energy-saving habits amongst tenants Again, we’re calling on the support of your tenants here. If you’re looking to truly maximize your system usage and efficiency, a lot of the power here lies with the tenants. If they are aware of methods to maximize their A/C usage (e.g. cycling on/off), or understand best practice to keep their unit naturally cooler, this can have a huge impact on energy use.
- Educating tenants about HVAC system care and maintenance This is a slightly more complex solution but can provide great benefits. Whilst tenants cannot be expected to complete serious air conditioning repairs or undertake complex system maintenance, there are a range of surface level tasks which can greatly increase the performance of a HVAC system. This can include cleaning the exterior of the unit to improve airflow and replacing easy-to-access filters on a regular basis.
Benefits of Regular HVAC Maintenance for Commercial Properties
If regular maintenance and air conditioning repairs are carried out, this can provide a host of benefits for commercial property owners.
First and foremost, comfortable tenants are happy tenants! Providing reliable, effective climate control in your units gives residents a pleasant environment to live in, leading to reduced tenant turnover and potentially higher rental rates.
From a financial perspective, whilst working with contractors to carry out regular maintenance may come at a price, the return on investment is a sizeable one. Regular upkeep reduces the risk of pricy repairs or unit replacements, as well as providing increased energy efficiency and lower utility bills as a result.
Finally, regular HVAC maintenance means care-free property management. When the temperature starts to rise, you can rest easy knowing your tenants are comfortable and happy.
So, that about covers it! We hope this article has helped to showcase just how important summer HVAC maintenance is, for a wide range of reasons.
Whether you are a new property manager or you’re looking to improve your annual maintenance procedures, we recommend following the 10 tips as an absolute minimum. If you’re keen to reduce utility costs and further improve your system’s performance, look into implementing the bonus tips where possible.
Your system will thank you for it!
Finally, if you’re not sure where to start, always contact a HVAC contractor in Florida for guaranteed excellence.